The city of Worthington has contained four cemeteries: the now inactive but well maintained St. John's Episcopal
Cemetery, the abandoned Methodist and Presbyterian Cemeteries, and the currently active Walnut Grove Cemetery. A database is also maintained on the Worthington Library website for the Flint Rd. Cemetery north of
town in Sharon Township. A resource regarding Columbus City Graveyards is also detailed below.
The first burial in St. John's Episcopal Cemetery east of the present church building was Scioto Company pioneer and
Revolutionary War veteran Abner Pinney who died November 23, 1804. Until the 1830s this burying ground served the entire community. After the Methodists erected their first church building on the northwest corner of
Hartford and South Streets in 1823, they established a one-acre burying ground to the southeast. This became inactive after the establishment of Walnut Grove and known graves were removed, primarily to Walnut Grove.
After the erection of the first Presbyterian Church on the northwest quadrant of the Village Green in 1830, a burying ground was established to the west. Here, too, known burials were moved to Walnut Grove. No
markers exist for either of these cemeteries but surviving tombstones were transcribed and published in the Jan. 1904 Old Northwest Genealogical Quarterly, available at the Worthington Public Library and the
Worthington Historical Society Library.
Walnut Grove Cemetery is typical of the community "lawn cemeteries" which became popular in mid-nineteenth
century. The first burial was James Taylor on January 29, 1859. Ten acres of the Hoyt farm southwest of town were purchased for this cemetery and from the beginning it was jointly owned and maintained by Sharon
Township and the city of Worthington. It continues to serve the Worthington community and is the site of annual Memorial Day services.
Visit the Worthington Memory website to access a database searchable by surname for St. Johns, Walnut Grove and Flint Cemeteries. www.worthingtonmemory.org/cemeteries/ This includes tombstone transcriptions, burial records from Walnut Grove and
Flint Cemeteries, and the only available sexton records for St. Johns from 1825 to 1843. This site also provides a link to a website for the active cemeteries Walnut Grove and Flint, providing contact information,
maps, and more history.
The Columbus City Graveyards: Containing Histories of the Franklinton, North, East, South, and
Colored Graveyards of Columbus, Ohio, with a Consolidated List of all Known Lot Owners, Burials, Inscriptions, and Removals by Donald M. Schlegel, 1985
This copyright publication is available for viewing online at http://www.genealogybug.net/Franklin_Cemeteries/city_graveyards/CityGraveyards.pdf Some Worthington pioneers who
moved to Columbus were buried at the old North Cemetery near the site of the present convention center. Most, but not all, were moved to Greenlawn by descendants. Sources such as newspaper death notices, lot
ownership, tombstone inscription or Greenlawn reburial records are given. There is an excellent history of this cemetery with maps. The alphabetical consolidated list contains the following Worthington pioneer
families: (SCD indicates biographical sketch in Scioto Company Descendants)
p. 70 - Buttles, Joel - infant children, SCD
Buttles, Levi, Jr. SCD
p. 77 - Comstock, Bulkey (sic. Buckley) & Margaret
p. 113 - Hosack, Adam (Franklinton Cemetery - husband of Eunice Sloper, SCD)
p. 117 - Jeffords, John E. (husband of Sophronia Morrison, SCD)
p. 123 - Kilbourn, John & Frances (principal of Worthington Academy)
Kilbourn, Hector, SCD
p. 131 - Little, Henry Kilbourn, d. 1818, @ 20 mo., s/o Nathaniel Little (saddler at Worthington
Manufacturing Co. who d. in 1822)
p. 140 - Matthews, Matthew & Lucy (Kilbourn) and children, SCD
p. 154 - Olmsted, Philo - 2 infants (printer, Western Intelligencer)
p. 160 - Pinney, Abner H. & Ann C. children, SCD
p. 177 - Sisson, Peleg & Mary (Buttles), SCD